Food & Beverage Policy
For Bake Sales and Beverage Sales (Student Organizations Only)
  • Before you have a bake or beverage sale, you must take a "Food Safety & Sanitation" class hosted by Housing and Dining's Joyce Myles. For questions contact Joyce Myles at
  • NEW: In compliance with the Houston Department of Health and Human Services, any beverage or baked item being sold at the Student Center needs to be commercially individually wrapped by the manufacturer. 

    The “Food Safety and Sanitation” class (Fall 2015) will be held on the following Wednesdays:

    September 9 and 23, at 4 p.m.

    October 7 and 21, at 4 p.m.

    November 4 and 11, at 4 p.m.

    December (email

    All classes meet in the Housing and Dining Office.

  • Read our Guidelines for Baked Goods and Beverages Sales and fill out a Registration Form. You must bring in the registration form to the Student Center Administrative Offices, in the RMC, upstairs, above the Grand Hall, at least 48 hours before your sale date.
  • Note: The Student Center only approves indoor sales. Outdoors sales must be approved by the City of Houston.
For Student Organization Events
Central Quad, Outdoor Space, or Classroom Requests

Outdoor Event/Space Request 

Students must fill out the above form when requesting use of any outdoor space, or to place outdoor signs/banners/flags/ribbons/etc.

NOTE: The Outdoor Space requests go through a lengthy approval process, so organizations need to submit their request at least 2 weeks (10 working days) in advance.   Requests for large events may take 6-8 weeks.

Request a Classroom

Student Organization Spaces

There are several storage areas (all lockable) available for student organizations in the basement of the RMC:  4 offices (2 of these have been permanently assigned to Q&A and to RTV5), 3 closets, 8 cabinets and 24 lockers.  These resources are free of charge, assigned once a year in the Spring, and can include the summer.  Applications for the use of these spaces (links below) are reviewed by the Student Center & Student Center Advisory Committee.

Application and Policies for Student Org Resource Center Office Space 2015 (advisor signature required)

Application and Policies for Student Org Resource Center Storage Space 2015(advisor signature required)

Please note: The SORC is available for 24-hour access. However, to obtain this, organization presidents must e-mail a list of their members to Tim Abraham, Facilities Coordinator of the Student Center, at Students do NOT need to be members of any specific organization to use the space during normal Student Center operating hours.

Key Access/Request Form (advisor signature required)

Key Access List/Request Form

The Student Center is responsible for issuing all keys to the Rice Memorial Center/Ley Student Center, as well as managing all security issues surrounding the use of these keys.

One individual is designated from each administrative office and student organization to authorize the issuance of keys to that respective office or organization. This individual is responsible for updating the information regarding who is able to receive keys. Once authorized, individuals may pick up their keys from the Information Desk. All individuals are required to sign a key card agreeing to the terms and conditions surrounding the use of keys.  Keys for student organization doors require a signed key card from the Information Desk to request a key.  Keys are on loan for the term of the academic year and must be returned by the last day of classes.

Lost, misplaced or stolen keys should be reported immediately to the Information Desk.  If you have any questions, contact Tim Abraham: