The following is a list of general building rules which should be enforced by all employees. The purpose of these regulations is to ensure that the property and facilities of the Student Center are used for the educational, cultural, and social benefit of the community. All uses inconsistent with these purposes are prohibited.
Prohibited Items and Activities
- Smoking within the Student Center
- Illegal drugs or other illicit substances
- Firearms of any kind
- Gambling in any form
- Use of roller-skates, roller blades, bicycles, and skateboards
- Animals not accompanying physically challenged persons or law enforcement officers
- Removal of equipment or property of the Student Center
- Unauthorized postings or distribution of literature
- Alcohol may not be circulated or brought in or out of the Student Center for any reason. Patrons may drink alcohol only in Willy’s Pub or in a reserved venue with a licensed bartender.
- Smoking is not allowed in Willy’s Pub.
- Publications which have been authorized should be placed only in racks provided specifically for that purpose by the publisher; literature otherwise distributed will be removed and recycled.
The Student Center coordinates the reservation process for the Ley Student Center, Rice Memorial Center, the Chapel, and the surrounding lawn areas of the Center.
- Events requiring amplified sound must not disturb other events within the Student Center.
- If an event requires security, the group reserving the venue must submit the proper paperwork to the Campus Police who will confirm and provide appropriate personnel.
- Any event which violates any Student Center, Rice University, municipal, state, or federal may be shut down at the discretion of the Building Manager in accordance with the Rice Campus Police.
The banner wall above the Grand Hall Lobby may be reserved through our Online Banner Reservation Form. Please include:
- The title of the event
- The dates the banner should be hung
- The text that will be on the banner
- Banner positioning (vertical/horizontal)
- Contact information
Banners will be hung for up to eight (8) days and should be delivered to the Student Center Office (second floor, above the Grand Hall) at least two (2) days prior to the date it will be hung. Banners should be no more than 4′ x 6′. If you wish to save the banner, you must inform the Student Center Office when you drop it off, otherwise it will be disposed of accordingly.
The glass doors to the Grand Hall Lobby may be reserved for painting information and/or small artwork to advertise major functions. Space is reserved through the Online Glass Doors Painting Request Form. You must include:
- Requested dates
- Times for painting and removal
- Text of the advertisement
- Contact Information
Only acrylic paint may be used and the painting must be on the exterior side of the windows. At least 50% of the glass must remain unobstructed and free of paint. Your club is responsible for all paint removal. To remove the paint, you must use a Windex solution to loosen the paint and a straight edge to peel it away. Failure to completely remove the paint from the doors by the designated date will incur a $25 fine for the first offense. The fine doubles with each subsequent violation ($50 – 2nd offense, $100 – 3rd offense).