Rice is the home of a vibrant array of clubs. It is a source of Rice pride that we support and encourage our students to try new things and to get involved in areas where they are passionate and hope to contribute to the Rice community and beyond. Given the large number of clubs that already exist at Rice, we highly recommend that before you get started you do some research into learning what clubs are out there and begin by meeting with some clubs that are in your prospective genre of clubs to learn about what they do, what their strengths and weaknesses are and determine whether or not your new ideas can fit into an already established club’s mission and purpose.
Club Registration opens April 4, 2016 and the deadline for registration is September 30, 2016. All of the steps involved in registering your new club must be completed before the September deadline to be considered active for 2016-2017 year.
New Club Registration – Follow these Steps:
1. Learn about all the clubs at Rice, discuss your new ideas with established clubs to see if you fit within the mission and purpose of an active club.
2. If you do not find a club that fits, then identify your new club’s unique mission and purpose.
3. To establish a new club start by connecting with like-minded students and a faculty or staff sponsor. You need a President, Treasurer, and sponsor to get started. If your sponsor is not on the list of Risk Management-Trained Sponsors they will have to attend a risk management training before your club can be approved.
4. Register your new club by filling out these forms:
5. Create a club constitution (Constitution Checklist and Sample Constitution), it is also a good idea to search online for peer institution’s who have similar clubs to see how they have established their structure within a constitution.
6. Email your constitution to firstname.lastname@example.org saved as a word or pdf file under the title ClubName_Constitution_2016.
7. An executive officer must attend one session of the Club Development Training and the vice president or president along with Sponsor (if needed) must attend a Risk Management Training:
Risk Management and Club Development Trainings:
Wednesday, August 24 4:00pm-6:00pm HRG 100
Tuesday, September 6 4:00pm-6:00pm HRG 100
Sunday, September 11 3:00pm-5:00pm HRG 100
*The first hour will be dedicated towards risk management and the second hour towards club development training. If you intend to attend either, please arrive early.
8. Meet with your officer team and sponsor to discuss Risk Management and submit your Risk Management Plan online.
9. After you have completed all of the above steps, you will be required to attend a New Club training. This training is one hour and you will have time to discuss your plans for recruitment, activities, finances, retention, and Risk Management during the second half of the meeting. If the president or another founding executive board member does not attend one of these meetings, your organization will not be able to register for this academic year.
New Club Meetings:
Thursday, August 25 5:00pm-6:00pm 2nd Floor Conference Room RMC
Thursday, September 08 5:00pm-6:00pm 2nd Floor Conference Room RMC
Monday, September 12 5:00pm-6:00pm 2nd Floor Conference Room RMC
10. You will be contacted by the SA/GSA after they have reviewed your constitution for notification of final approval.
11. After the SA/GSA sends approval the Student Activities office will notify you of your Active Status for 2016-2017.
12. Upon approval, look into the club resources that are available and consider applying to the new club fund.
13. If you plan to utilize the club P-Cards for purchases throughout the year contact email@example.com for Treasurer Training details.
If you have any questions about the Club Registration process email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: If you have reserved rooms at the Student Center your reservation will be placed on hold until you have finalized your registration. This must be done by August 31, 2016. If you do not complete your registration before then the holds will be released.