Rice University encourages a high level of student self-governance throughout the undergraduate and graduate experience. With this in mind, the Office of Student Activities endeavors to provide leadership theory and skill-based programs to develop the leadership abilities of Rice students and enhance their level of self-governance.
Leaders are not born, they are made through their experience, knowledge, relationships, and skills. It is the goal of Student Activities to empower students at Rice to develop into leaders and to take actions that positively benefit the world. To learn more about both Student Activities leadership opportunities and Campus and Community Leadership Opportunities, please see below. If you have questions about any of the opportunities or would like to suggest future programs, please email email@example.com.
- Impact Rice Retreat – IRR is a weekend leadership retreat for freshmen and sophomores, run entirely by upperclassmen. This is a great opportunity to network, develop skills, and learn about yourself. For more details visit the IRR page.
- Lunch and Lead Program – These are short 40 minute programs on a particular leadership topic. Most programs are held in the Colleges and students are invited to BYOL* (Lunch). For detailed descriptions of the Lunch and Lead programs for the upcoming month, please visit the Lunch and Lead Listing.
- Club Related Leadership – Resources for involvement, support for club leadership, and networking opportunities.
- Women LEAD (Leading through Empowerment, Affiliations, and Development) Programs – Designed in a Lunch and Lead format, these short programs bring in a female speaker to talk about leadership through the eyes of women. For more information about the speakers for this program please see the Women LEAD page. This program is shifting to the Wellness Center.
- Leadership Summit – An annual summit of campus leaders to develop skills, plan strategies and goals, and network with one another. The Summit occurs on Spring Recess, and is supported through regular follow up meetings throughout the year.
- Student Governance:
Campus and Community Leadership Opportunities
- Baker Institute for Public Policy
- Gateway Program
- Program in Poverty, Social Justice and Human Capabilities
- Rice Center for Engineering Leadership
- Center for Civic Leadership